Learn how to make the holy grail of DIY cleaning products with this recipe for Dishwasher Tablets. This will save you so much money as well as all the eco-friendly benefits.
- 1/2 cup Washing Soda
- 1/3 cup Coconut Soap Flakes *
- 1/4 cup Sodium Percarbonate
- 30 - 50ml tap water
- 1/2 teaspoon of Silicone Emulsion (optional)
- 10-15 drops essential oil (optional)
* If you find any residue left on your glassware, reduce or omit the soap
- Large mixing bowl
- Small glass
- Measuring spoons/cups
- Ice cube tray
- Airtight storage container
Makes approx. 250g powder (15-25 tablets).
Multiply quantities for larger batches.
1. Combine all the powder ingredients in a large mixing bowl, taking care not the breathe in any of the raised dust. If your making Powder stop here as you are done, continue if you want to make them into tablets
2. If using silicone emulsion, mix it water in a small glass the water, before adding to dry mixture. If you are just using water, you can just add it directly to the powder.
3. Quickly spread the liquid through the mix using the back of a spoon. It should resemble wet sand (not a cake mix) & its ready when it hold together when presses between your fingers.
4. Add approx. 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of your mixture to each compartment in an ice cube tray & compress firmly.
5. Once tablets have set hard, pop out & store in an airtight container.
If you would like to give this a go, you can grab all the ingredients here.
* This recipe has been updated on the 23/8/2020. It still has the same ingredients but the instructions have been simplified to reflect 'best practice' . Please read the FAQ for additional methods & variations. Thank you!
IMPORTANT STUFF TO KNOW
How do I use the dishwasher powder?
Simply add 1 tablespoon directly in the detergent compartment of your dishwasher, ensure your items are dishwasher safe & wash as per dishwasher instructions.
What's better powder or tablets?
In all honesty I find the powder works better for me as it can spread throughout the dishes, dissolve more evenly & quicker. However the dishwasher tablets are convenient, still super effective & they make for great grout & oven cleaners. So in the end it really is a personal preference.
How long will it last?
Without having this lab qualified, the powder could last years if kept airtight & away from moisture. The dishwasher tablets however may start to crumble a bit over time & turn back into powder which you could still use.
What is hard water? Do I have it?
Well water is not just H2O, it also has a bunch of minerals like calcium, magnesium & limestone.The more minerals particles your water has, the harder it is. For more info check out this blog - What is hard water? Do I have it?
The mixture heated up a bit when making tablets, is this normal?
Yes, this is normal & nothing to worry about. This is science in action & occurs when you add the water.
Is this safe for septic tanks?
The ingredients are mild, safe & biodegradable which should not affect the bacteria in septic tanks like harsh chemicals can.
Do I need a rinse aid?
We strongly suggest you do, especially with DIY options using soap. Using Vinegar as a rinse aid will neautralise any leftover soap scum & is all you need.
There is a white residue on my glasses, what happened?
This could be a few factors, but the first one to check is the rinse aid. You more than likely need to top up the vinegar solution. It could also be dirt in the pipes when rinsing, so give the dishwasher a clean. Finally, it may be hard water or the soap not reacting well, so decrease the amount of coconut soap & increase the amount of water softeners like Percarbonate & Washing soda in the mix. (You could use also try adding Borax or Bicarb as they are great water softeners)