About Citric Acid
Used for a range of purposed from cooking to cleaning, citric acid is naturally occurring in citric fruits.
what is it
It’s an odourless crystalline white solid.
WHAT IS THE CHEMICAL FORMULA?
C = Carbon H= Hydrogen O = Oxygen
WHAT IS THE pH LEVEL?
Being an acid, it has a very low pH level of around 2.2 close to Vinegar
how it is made
Although citric acid is naturally occurring in citric fruits unfortunately production using fruits stopped in the early 1900's and worldwide it is made synthetically using a black mold, Aspergillus niger, which creates citric acid when it feeds on sugar.
uses and benefits
- REMOVES HARD WATER STAINS: a solution with a six percent concentration of citric acid will remove hard water stains from glass without scrubbing
- RUST REMOVER: it is used to dissolve rust from steel
- BATHROOM SPRAY: Dissolve 2-3 Tablespoons in 1 litre warm water and spray your affected areas
- MOUTH RINSE: Citric acids kills bacteria and is a general disinfectant so can be used as a mouth rinse. But be careful – too much could cause tooth decay.
- RINSE AID: Make a rinse aid for your Dishwasher using citric acid and distilled/demineralised water
- BATH BOMBS: Make with Citric acid, bicarb and some essential oils of your choice and have some fun!
- FACE MASKS: Citric acid reduces fine lines, is very good in preventing wrinkles, removes dead cells, prevent acne and treats uneven skin tone. Making this a darn fine ingredient for facials and homemade scrubs.
- TREAT FOOT ODOR: and toenail infections Use equal quantities of citric acid and bicarb in a bucket large enough for feet, fill it up with lukewarm water and add few drops of tea tree oil. Immerse your feet in it both morning and night for a few days.
- CLEANS DENTURES: Soak your dentures in a cup of warm water and teaspoon of food grade citric acid to help disinfectant and whiten
- JEWELLERY CLEANER: Soak diamonds in warm water and citric acid, rinse and wipe until sparkling.
- DESCALES & DISINFECT: Washing Machine In an empty washing machine, add two tablespoons of citric acid, use hot water, and run on the longest cycle.
- CAR CLEANING: Can be used to clean radiators and wheels
- FOOD PRESERVATIVE: Citric acid is present in a lot of processed food and the labels show it as “E330”. It is used in the canning process as it helps to maintain a healthy Ph balance inside the foods and helps to prevent botulism (a harmful form of food poisoning).
How should I handle Citric Acid?
This ingredient is used in cooking, however at Under Your Sink we do not process food items so can't sell it as such. Just be careful not to get in your eyes & keep out of reach of children.
How is this packaged?
Your goodies will be packaged plastic free Earth Bags. They are made of brown recycled paper, have a corn based 100% natural biofilm lining & tin-tie for easy opening & resealing. They are home compostable & recyclableNOTE: If you order 3kg or more it will be made up of 1.5kg bags (ie. 3kg = 2 x 1.5kg bags). If you have chosen the glass option it will come in an Amber Apothecary Jar.