About Bicarb Soda
Sodium Bicarbonate (Bicarb) is sourced the exact same way as Washing Soda. It’s an ancient mineral that has been in use for over 5000 years from baking, medicine to cleaning!
In the 1830s bakers began adding bicarb and sour milk to their dough. The reaction of bicarb with an acid creates carbon dioxide gas, which when trapped in the dough gave it its lightness. This is good for baking without yeast, however it’s not really an effective cleaner because you are neutralising the effects of both the bicarb & vinegar.
They do make a good team if used separately, with bicarb doing the cleaning and vinegar doing the rinsing.
what is it
It’s a white solid that is crystalline but will often come in a fine powder form.
WHAT IS THE CHEMICAL FORMULA?
Na = Sodium H = hydrogen C = Carbon O = Oxygen
WHAT IS THE pH LEVEL?
Bicarb Soda has a pH level around 9 which is slightly alkaline.
WHAT ELSE IS IT KNOWN BY?
Sodium Bicarbonate, Baking Soda, Bicarb, Bicarb Soda & sodium hydrogen carbonate.
how is it made
Naturally Harvested: In certain parts of the world, natural underground deposits are formed from dried up reciprocated lakes. Using a simple filtering & refining process, water is pumped underground to bring up the brine containing the Trona (a mix of sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, and water). Its then filtered, separated and different grades are awarded based on density.
Synthetically made: Synthetic bicarb soda is made using either the Solvay or Hou process and contains several different chemicals. Both methods leave behind by-products and require either seaside discharge or waste beds to catch leftover impurities. These impurities have led to water pollution and overall deterioration of the surrounding environment.
uses & benefits
- CLEAN POTS & PANS: Combine with table salt & washing soda to form an abrasive paste. Apply & scrub!
- OVEN CLEANER: Make a paste with Washing Soda, Borax, Coconut Soap Flakes & Essential Oils. Spread mix inside oven & on trays. Let sit until dry & then wipe clean with a damp cloth.
- SANITISER: Soak mops, dishcloths & even bins in a solution to remove any nasty smells & disinfect
- LAUNDRY POWDER: Combine with Borax, Washing Soda & Coconut Soap Flakes for a powerful laundry powder
- NATURAL BLEACH: Soak whites with a mixture of Bicarb, Borax & hot water. The hotter the water & longer the soak, the better!
- STAIN REMOVER: Make a paste with Borax & Washing Soda. Apply to stain, soak overnight then wash as normal.
- TOILET CLEANER: Add some Bicarb to your cistern for whitening & disinfecting.
- TILE & GROUT: Use with hot water to clean ceramic or vinyl tiles. Make a paste to clean the grout.
- DIY BEAUTY: Make your own toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant & face scrub.
- ANTACID: Please seek medical help if you’re in pain, but bicarb is known to reduce stomach acid by diluting a small amount in water and drinking it.
- PEST CONTROL: Sodium bicarbonate can be used to kill cockroaches. Once consumed, it causes internal organs of cockroaches to burst due to gas collection.
Is Bicarb & Baking Powder the same thing?
No, Bicarb Soda is the pure ingredient Sodium Bicarbonate. Baking Powder is a mixture of Bicarb & Cream of Tartar.
Is Bicarb & Washing Soda the same thing?
No, Bicarb Soda is the pure ingredient Sodium Bicarbonate & Washing Soda is it's stronger cousin Sodium Carbonate.
How is this packaged?
Your goodies will be packaged plastic free Earth Bags. They are made of brown recycled paper, have a corn based 100% natural biofilm lining & tin-tie for easy opening & resealing. They are home compostable & recyclableNOTE: If you order 3kg or more it will be made up of 1.5kg bags (ie. 3kg = 2 x 1.5kg bags). If you have chosen the glass option it will come in an Amber Apothecary Jar.